Friday, October 31, 2008

Scrambled Eggs (p. 198) and Happy Birthday Irma Rombauer!

Happy Birthday Irma Rombauer!



I can't recommend reading about Rombauer enough--it's really inspiring. She self-published TJOC in 1931 to make some money after the death of her husband. In 1936 the publication was picked up by the Bobbs-Merrill Company and a more comprehensive edition was released and the rest is history!



I make passable scrambled eggs--I will preface this blog entry by saying that even I know how to make decent scrambled eggs. Even so, I wanted to make breakfast burritos for dinner and figured I could knock out a TJOC recipe at the same time.


Scrambled Eggs (p. 198).

Combine a few eggs, some salt, a little cream, and bit of paprika. I measured it into the measuring cup so that I could have one less dish to wash.







Pour into a pan (with melted butter) and push the eggs around.




And you keep pushing the eggs around....





And push them around some more...



Finally! The eggs are done. The recipe says the eggs should thicken in about two minutes. It took my eggs CONSIDERABLY longer than that.

How were they? Well, they are scrambled eggs. Unless they are absolutely horrible, there isn't much to say about scrambled eggs. Although I think they are particularly good in a tortilla with some cheese, bacon, and hash browns. Nothing healthy about the combination, but delicious.




Of course, today was Halloween, my favorite holiday! This was the first time in years that I didn't get dressed up and go out on the town . I refused to have no holiday spirit in the house so Duchess got costumed up.

Duchess, Halloween 2008, in her pig costume:



And as a pop star:



She even got special treats--Doggie s'mores from Three Dog Bakery!



Happy Halloween from Josh, Jessica, and Duchess!

Add to Technorati Favorites

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Please let me know what you think!

I'm really sorry, I hate comment moderation, but I've been getting annoying Japanese spam messages lately so...comment moderation has started.