Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Creamy Leeks (p. 280) and my wedding dress! (but not together)

First off, I have started indexing my blogs. If you click the keyword "index" on the right-hand side, it will pull them all up. I figure I will update the indexes about once a month and re-count every few months. I'm actually doing a little better than I expected! Also, if you've made any of these recipes, I would love to know your thoughts!

I can't even tell you how many times I've bought leeks recently and they've gone bad before I've used them. I was absolutely insistent that they get used this time before I left for Chicago. I decided to make Creamy Leeks (p. 280).

First step, julienne three large leeks. My leeks were HUGE. I'm pretty awful at julienning, as you can see in this picture. Remember to always soak the leeks--otherwise they can get sandy. I am getting over my fear of the leek, which makes me happy (TJOTJOC is accomplishing it's goal--I'm getting over my fears!).





Next, the leeks are added to a big pan and sauteed with butter.




Chicken stock is added (sadly, canned stock, I'm totally out of homemade stock) plus some thyme. It's simmered. A little bit of wine is added and it's simmered again. So far, so good. Pretty easy!



A couple tablespoons of cream and some curry are then added, as well as salt and pepper. Simmered a few more minutes and it's good to go!



How was it? Good! I really like leeks, kind of a garlicy onion. The creaminess is wonderful and the curry is a nice addition (plus it makes it a really pretty color! I used my homemade curry). This would be a great side dish, especially in the winter.



As many of you know, Josh and I are getting married in September. Since we are getting married about a thousand miles away from where we live, we are doing most of the vendor choices in a few hectic weekends--one of which was this weekend. I think we have about everything selected! I'm really getting excited and can't wait--I think that the wedding will be extremely fun!

Here is a picture I took of the back of my dress. What do you think?


Add to Technorati Favorites

7 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! And I'm really glad that the leeks and your dress were not connected in any way.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dress is fabulous!! Love the back-line...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The dress looks so pretty! Is that a chiffon overlay? Mine had that, love the look.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What is that on the back of the dress? The photo is small, it's hard to tell.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sooo lovely! You're going to look amazing!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Please let me know what you think!

I'm really sorry, I hate comment moderation, but I've been getting annoying Japanese spam messages lately so...comment moderation has started.