Saturday, October 11, 2008

Penne with Vodka Sauce (p. 328), Madras (p. 58) and White Russian (p. 58)

I had no idea what I wanted to make on Saturday night--but I knew I wanted it to be fast! I settled on Penne with Vodka Sauce (p. 328). First off, I had bought a bottle of plain vodka, so it didn't need to be Penne with Vanilla Vodka sauce, unlike the Vanilla Bloody Mary catastrophe. Secondly, I had never had penne with vodka sauce and it sounded interesting. Looking the recipe over was eye-opening--this is the least spiced pasta sauce I've ever seen.


The first step is to soften some butter in olive oil and add some garlic. I love garlic, so I added extra.







Next step...add tomatoes, vodka, and crushed red pepper! I'm a big proponent of the idea--don't cook with any alcohol that you wouldn't drink...





It looked pretty tasty...




And then heavy cream is added in to give it that pinky tinge of all vodka sauces...





The drained penne is then drained and added to the sauce. Parmesan is mixed in and it's ready to go. Easy and fast!




It was good! Really good! And Josh liked it to. This is a nice dish to add into the rotation when we need something quick to heat up (and are out of real sauce).


I HATE reheated pasta because it gets mushy. How I get around this (a lesson taught to me by my mom) is to fry it up in some olive oil. That way the mushyness is totally averted. I imagine this is what they did before microwaves--I'm not a fan of microwaves anyway because they make everything.



I decided to mix us up a couple drinks to go with dinner (because I'm woefully behind on that chapter). The first drink I made--the Madras (p. 58). Vodka, cranberry juice, and orange juice--2 oz of each.




Now, I know that I always say that TJOC underseasons food. Let me state for the record that they mix a stout cocktail. The drink was good--but plenty strong! And the cranberry and orange tasted like grapefruit, which was strange. Very drinkable though!




I followed that up with a White Russian (p. 58). Vodka, heavy cream, and Kahlua--yum! Very very tasty. TJOC says that a Black Russian is the same thing without the cream--I always thought a Black Russian included coffee. Does anyone know the answer to that?

Add to Technorati Favorites

4 comments:

  1. I love penne with vodka sauce! And I agree, I also thought Black Russians had a coffee or coffee-liqueur component.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pasta looks great - and quick and easy!

    Black Russian is 2 parts vodka to 1 part coffee liqueur served over ice.

    Is it 5 o'clock yet? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will never forget the first time I had Penne with Vodka Sauce. It was in Rome on my 30th birthday. I've been able to figure out the recipe pretty close to how it was there by adding mascarpone cheese and by actually using vanilla vodka.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Joy of cooking vodka sauce is the only one I use, but you left out the onions!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Please let me know what you think!

I'm really sorry, I hate comment moderation, but I've been getting annoying Japanese spam messages lately so...comment moderation has started.