Friday, October 10, 2008

Guacamole (p. 72)

I was home for lunch and staring into my refrigerator trying to figure out what I could make for lunch. I didn't have very many ideas...so I flipped through Joy. Guacamole (p. 72) seemed pretty easy, I had some *ahem* aging avocados that were probably a day away from the trash can, and I figured I could eat the guac with a quesadilla.

Now, I have no idea what a "Hass" avocado is and the intro to the recipe talks about how you can use Florida avocados instead....of course, I had NO idea what kind of avocados I had (although I only had three, which translated into two when I cut the gross parts out). I thought maybe my avocados were Florida avocados, and thus, two would be enough (if they were Hass's then I needed four).

I peeled and pitted the avocados and mashed them in a bowl with my potato masher. They were overripe so it was really easy.





A little bit of onion, some parsley (I didn't have any cilantro), olive oil, garlic, Tabasco, and salt were added, along with some lime juice. The lime juice was a problem. The recipe asks for about a quarter cup. That's a huge amount of lime juice--and I had a suspicion that I didn't have enough avocado to support it. I cut it down...but was still worried it was too much. It looked pretty runny.







I decided not to add any tomatoes. How did it taste? Overly lime-y, although it did have a great garlic bite! I don't blame the recipe for this though....I blame my avocados. That being said, the lime juice did keep the guac perfectly green. I made a quesadilla with the guac and some cheese (not a TJOC quesadilla) and it was delicious!



Add to Technorati Favorites

3 comments:

  1. Even for six avocados that's way too much lime juice. Blech. And I like lime juice. I can't help but think that was a typo!

    Your quesadilla looks killer, I like the way you sliced it! I'll remember that in the future, much better than the way I usually cook them and slice them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree--way too much lime! I like slicing the quesadilla like that because you get cute little wedges, like in the restaurants!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been so long since I've had guacamole! Makin' me hungry!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Please let me know what you think!

I'm really sorry, I hate comment moderation, but I've been getting annoying Japanese spam messages lately so...comment moderation has started.