Monday, March 21, 2011

Lemon pancakes (p. 646) and Additions to pancakes (p. 644)

Somehow I hit "post" too quickly, so I apologize if you came to this blog and just saw a set of pictures. I hope you made up your own exciting copy to go with it.

On a whim, I decided to make pancakes for dinner. I always forget about the possibility of pancakes, which heat up amazingly, when I'm trying to figure out what is quick to make for dinner. I actually was in the mood for waffles but I don't have a waffle iron.

I wasn't particularly excited about Lemon pancakes (p. 646) but I wanted to knock them off the list. I mixed flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in one bowl and sour cream, milk, lemon zest, lemon juice, melted butter, an egg, and vanilla extract in another bowl:



The two were combined:



The batter was thick and bubbly, as TJOC said it would be. I totally missed the part about how each pancake should be about a quarter cup:



I was able to cut the pancake in half. At this point, I turned the pancake-making over to Josh and figured he could cook them more efficiently than I could. I have no picture of the finished product but it looked just like an average pancake.

I'm not big into lemon flavor, so I wasn't in love with these pancakes. They were certainly lemony and they had a strange tang from the sour cream. If you love lemon, make these pancakes. I think they would be really good with whipped cream on top and maybe raspberry sauce (sort of a Melba theme?). I also think they'd be good with vanilla ice cream and wrapped up like a burrito (am I the only one who does that?).

I also decided to make Additions to pancakes" (p. 644). Essentially, I just made pancakes and added raspberries.




The finished product:



Tasty! I like raspberries in pancakes, I think they are my favorite fruit addition. Now that I've worked out the teaspoon/tablespoon misprint in TJOC I'm having a much better success rate with my pancakes.

What do you like to add to pancakes?

Add to Technorati Favorites

1 comment:

  1. Pancake ice cream burritos! Yes! But perhaps with chocolate chip pancakes, my personal favorite fruit addition.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Please let me know what you think!

I'm really sorry, I hate comment moderation, but I've been getting annoying Japanese spam messages lately so...comment moderation has started.