Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Caramel corn (p. 866)

I've been looking at the Caramel corn (p. 866) recipe for a long time, because it is on the randomly selected list. It is the reason my mom originally gifted me the magic popcorn pot that always makes perfect popcorn. You have to make caramel corn with "real" popcorn, not microwave popcorn, because microwave popcorn is too fragile. I am always going to be grateful to this recipe, because it reminded me how far superior stovetop popcorn is to microwaved popcorn.

I melted butter in a saucepan and then added light brown sugar and water. I brought it up to a boil:



I kept it cooking, without stirring, until it was to the soft-ball stage. I then poured it over my popcorn:



Amazingly delicious. Almost unbelievably good. It would have been even better with nuts, though, so I recommend mixing nuts into it. I also recommend spreading the whole thing out on parchment or wax paper because it was really difficult to chisel off of the bowl. But homemade caramel corn definitely figures in to the "win" category. It was super easy, too, so if you are afraid of making candy, don't let that worry you.

Add to Technorati Favorites

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Please let me know what you think!

I'm really sorry, I hate comment moderation, but I've been getting annoying Japanese spam messages lately so...comment moderation has started.