Sunday, March 20, 2011

Chilled grapefruit (p. 226)

I like the super simple recipes in TJOC because I can knock them out relatively easily when I have the ingredients. Chilled grapefruit (p. 226) was one of these recipes.

I halved a grapefruit, loosened the sections, dusted it with powdered sugar, and sprinkled Grand Marnier over the top.



Personally, I think the liqueur was a bit much. I don't really need a tablespoon of alcohol on my morning grapefruit and it was pretty overwhelming. I also like table sugar rather than powdered sugar, which I think was too sweet. So, although this is an insane recipe (doesn't everyone already know how to eat a grapefruit?), I doubt I will make it again.

Random facts:
  • The bitter compounds in citrus peel are water soluble while the oils are not. That is why soaking is recommended when you use it. (On Food and Cooking, p. 373)
  • The grapefruit was originally the hybrid of the sweet orange and pummelo (OFaC, p. 376)


Add to Technorati Favorites

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Please let me know what you think!

I'm really sorry, I hate comment moderation, but I've been getting annoying Japanese spam messages lately so...comment moderation has started.