Friday, April 8, 2011

The best North American foods meme!

The best North American foods meme!

If you do this, post it in a comment (or post the link to yours!)--at least tell me your thoughts!

I will bold the foods I've eaten, strike out the ones I refuse to eat, link to those I've already TJOC'd. I think most of these are in TJOC but I haven't made them yet (which makes sense because TJOC is such an American classic). Don't think about the underlining because I picked that up from the blog I found the meme on...and couldn't figure out how to undo it :)

I did this for the first time two years ago, I thought there would be great changes in the meantime!


1. New York pizza--I would say you can only count this if you've actually eaten it in New York!
2. Hoppin' John--surprisingly good!
3. New Mexico green chile--absolutely impossible to live in CO, land of green chiles, and not have had it.
4. Homemade buttermilk biscuits
5. Tasso--thank you frequent trips to NOLA!
6. Whole Maine lobster
7. Calabash-style shrimp and hushpuppies (I've had hushpuppies but not the shrimp)
8. Kansas City barbecue ribs--in KC, of course :)
9. Hot glazed Krispy Kreme--not a huge fan though--I like yeast doughnuts better than cake doughnuts.
10. San Diego fish tacos
11. Cheese curds (in the holy land of cheese curds...Wisconsin!)
12. Key lime pie (Florida!)
13. Philly cheese steak--I've never had one because I don't like Cheez-Whiz or onions.
14. Memphis pork barbecue sandwich
--obviously I've had a pork barbecue sandwich but not a "Memphis" one
15. Lowcountry boil
16. Huckleberry pie
17. New England clam chowder
18. Boiled peanuts--although I'm not sure why...I don't think they are particularly good
19. Buffalo (Bison) burger
20. Eggs Benedict
21. Pastrami on rye
22. Corned beef and cabbage
23. Pancakes with maple syrup
24. Everything bagel with cream cheese and tomato
25. Thin Mints
26. Frito pie -- I don't care for Fritos
27. Potato knish with mustard
28. Silver Queen corn on the cob - good chance I've tried it, but I'm not really up on my various corn varieties (this was the previous blogger's comment but I totally agree)
29. Soft pretzel from a street cart
30. Fresh-picked blueberries--Yum!
31. Sourwood honey
32. State fair funnel cake
33. Chesapeake crab cakes
34. Candied yams
35. Oyster dressing--this IS in TJOC though
36. Snow cone or snowball
37. Wild Alaskan salmon
38. Sautéed more
39. Persimmon pudding
40. General Tso's Chicken
41. Frozen custard
42. Italian sausage with peppers and onions on a hoagie bun
43. Chili dogs--I went through a 15-year no hot dog era so I don't think I ever have had a chili dog
44. Buffalo wings with blue cheese
45. Spam musubi --I should have eaten this in Japan! I certainly saw it
46. Saltwater taffy--both 46 and 47 are thanks to Jennifer and her family :)
47. Fluffernutter sandwich on Wonder Bread
48. Black and white cookie
49. Frybread
50. BLT with thick-cut applewood bacon
51. Baked beans
52. Pumpkin pie
53. Collards with vinegar and Tabasco
54. Tex-Mex fajitas with skirt steak and sautéed peppers
55. Fried green tomatoes--in TJOC
56. Succotash --in TJOC
57. Shrimp and grits (in TJOC)
58. Hot water cornbread--what is this?
59. Barbecue chicken pizza with red onions--I think this is in TJOC
60. Chicken fried steak--my favorite hangover dish!
61. Carnitas burrito
62. Apple butter
63. Geoduck
64. Soft-serve ice cream cone dipped in chocolate shell--A Dairy Queen specialty, although I don't care for the hard shell
65. Pecan pie--my uncle made a particularly delicious version!
66. Catfish supper at a church or fire station--thank you last year's Lent!
67. Oysters Rockefeller--I learned I don't like Oysters Rockefeller when Rachel and I ordered it at the Court of the Two Sisters in New Orleans :)
68. Homemade cranberry sauce--Of course! What American hasn't?
69. Pimento cheese
70. MoonPie washed down with R.C. Cola--I've had both, but not together
71. Pickled watermelon rind
72. Cracker Jacks at the ball game
73. Smithfield ham
74. Meatloaf and mashed potato blue plate special at diner
75. Chicken and waffles
76. Po'Boy with many napkins --in New Orleans
77. Green bean casserole with French's fried onions
78. Stuffed sopaipillas
79. Turducken
80. Shad roe on toast--not on toast
81. Sweet potato casserole with or without marshmallows
82. Cioppino--nope, although I should have had it when I was in San Francisco
83. New York cheesecake
84. Pan-fried river trout
85. Jambalaya
86. North Carolina pig pickin'
87. California rolls--in both the US and Japan
88. Burgoo--in TJOC
89. Penuche fudge
90. Fried peanut butter and banana sandwich
91. Scrapple or livermush
92. Elk medallions in red wine reduction
93. Muscadine grapes
94. Cheeseburger at backyard barbecue
95. Open-face turkey sandwich
96. Chicago deep dish pizza
97. Cobb salad--the least healthy "salad"
98. Peach pie a la mode
99. Macaroni and cheese
100. Root beer float

TOTAL
Eaten: Was 54, now 61
Won't Try: 0
Left to try: 39

And I linked to a ton more that weren't linked to previously! Where are you at?


Add to Technorati Favorites

3 comments:

  1. I think hit water cornbread is more like spoon bread where you basically make polenta first and then make the bread from that. I saw it recently on cook's country/ america's test kitchen.

    The only thing on that list I won't eat is wonder bread.
    A cheese steak with provolone and hot peppers is also delicious. Though I did have one with whiz years ago

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made spoonbread Sunday--it was absolutely delicious.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Please let me know what you think!

I'm really sorry, I hate comment moderation, but I've been getting annoying Japanese spam messages lately so...comment moderation has started.