Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Wontons (p. 342) and Wonton soup (p. 126)

Sometimes I have reasons why I make a particular recipe on a particular day and sometimes I don't. I was in the mood to make filled noodles and decided to make Wontons (p. 342). This was odd for a couple reasons. I don't like wontons, never order wonton soup at restaurants, am actively annoyed if wonton soup is my only choice, and like other filled pastas like pierogis and ravioli. I think the lone mark in the wonton's favor was that I can easily buy wonton wrappers at the grocery store.

I took pork and mixed in cornstarch, soy sauce, sherry, sesame oil, chili oil, sugar, salt, and black pepper.



I went digging for the water chestnuts I was completly positive we had. I even remembered the day I got them on discount at the grocery store. After searching, I realized we had bamboo shoots, not water chestnuts. And I was unwilling to run to the store for eight water chesnuts (not cans, eight individual water chestnuts). So my wontons had bamboo shoots. I added my bamboo shoots, along with scallions, and ginger.



I laid out my (bought) wonton wrappers, brushed each wrapper with egg wash, and placed a bit of filling in the middle:



I folded the wonton wrapper and pinched the edges:



And folded the sides in:



WONTONS!

Wontons for Wonton soup (p. 126)!

Once you have the wontons, the wonton soup is simple. I heated up some chicken stock, dumped the wontons in, added a bit of soup, and was finished.



I was pleased with this recipe. My wontons looked professional and I was proud of them. I wasn't sure if they were pinched tight enough but the shrunk during cooking so it wasn't a problem. I was also afraid the pork wouldn't cook in such a short time but it did.

The wontons tasted exactly like every meat wonton I've ever eaten--they were savory with a slight heat (I assume from the chili oil). I think they would have been even better if they were half pork and half shrimp. The recipe was super easy, and, terrifically, on my RGL.

Don't forget to add me on Twitter (@tjotjoc) and Facebook!

Add to Technorati Favorites

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Please let me know what you think!

I'm really sorry, I hate comment moderation, but I've been getting annoying Japanese spam messages lately so...comment moderation has started.