Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Banana bread cockaigne (p. 628)

I'm by no stretch of the imagination a "banana bread person". I don't really like bananas (I'm allergic to raw bananas, although not nearly as allergic to bananas as I am to other fruits) and if I'm going to eat a quick bread, I would rather it was carrot or zucchini (both of which have a much better flavor in my opinion, are far more moist, and are vegetables to which I'm not allergic, all pluses). So, honestly, I don't think I'm a very good judge of Banana bread cockaigne (p. 628). Why did I even bother making it? 1. I had to make it eventually and 2. I had black bananas that either needed to be used or thrown away.

To start, I whisked flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl (I didn't feel like a picture of white powder was necessary). In another bowl, I beat butter, sugar, and lemon zest until creamy. I have to put in the obligatory plug for the Microplane--I used to avoid adding zest to foods because I hated the zesting process so much but it is SO easy with the Microplane. If you don't have one, consider buying one.



I mashed some ripe bananas to add to the sugar mixture:



The banana and egg mixture was added to the sugar bowl. I then added the flour mix to banana mixture in three parts, folding in chopped nuts at the very end (which meant Josh would not be eating this banana bread, since he hates nuts). The whole thing was poured into a buttered loaf pan:



Which was baked for about an hour:



The bread was pleasant enough. It had a mild banana flavor and the nuts were a good addition but I must have overcooked it because it was a little dry (it's also possible that the altitude worked against me--I didn't modify the recipe in any way). It's very difficult for me to get excited about banana bread--honestly, I would rather have a slice of regular bread most of the time.

So what do you guys think? Do you love banana bread? I still have another banana bread to go and it requires wheat germ, which does not excite me at all.

Add to <span class=Technorati Favorites">

1 comment:

  1. I have also used this recipe. There is actually a note I wrote in the book that says to bake for 40-45 minutes. I don't know if it's a typo in the book or what, but I found that baking for the hour recommended gave me very dry bread that was scorched around the edges. So try it again with shorter baking and maybe you'll be happier with it!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Please let me know what you think!

I'm really sorry, I hate comment moderation, but I've been getting annoying Japanese spam messages lately so...comment moderation has started.