Saturday, January 29, 2011

Panfried spice-crusted fish fillets (p. 408) and Spicy tartar sauce (p. 581)

Sometimes I have a grand plan for what recipes I'm going to make in a given month. Other times I randomly select recipes. Panfried spice-crusted fish fillets (p. 408) was from the latter category. I had fish, I needed a recipe that would use the fish, and thought that it sounded good.

I mixed flour, water, curry powder (you can use Garam Masala, chili powder, or whatever spice mixture you want, which would drastically change the end result), and salt and pepper:



I cut my fish in half, patted the pieces dry, and sprinkled them with lemon juice:



I dipped the fish in the batter, shook off the excess, and popped them in a pan full of heated canola oil (watch out for splatter!):



After a few minutes on each side, they were done:



It was really good! The curry flavor shone through brightly and it had just the right amount of breading--not so much that you can't taste anything but breading but not so little that there is no point to bothering with the extra steps. This is a perfect recipe for a creative chef because there are so many variations of spice flavoring that you could use. The fish was INCREDIBLY moist. In fact, I like my fish a little dry (I know, I'm strange) and the fish was a little too moist for me, although Josh loved it.

I can't eat fish without a sauce. I love sauces, I love condiments, I thought that Spicy tartar sauce (p. 581) would be a great choice for the fish.

I mixed mayonnaise, parsley, lime juice, pickle relish, Dijon mustard, garlic, hot pepper sauce, and a little salt and pepper:



It was sooooo good. Just amazingly good. It was considerably better than the basic tartar sauce (which was also good). The hot sauce gave it just enough kick (I used garlic Tabasco), the pickle relish gave a crisp sourness, and I love anything with Dijon mustard or garlic. If you like tartar sauce, make this one, you won't be disappointed. Plus, it's incredibly easy and you probably have everything to make it in your fridge.

Add to Technorati Favorites

1 comment:

  1. I like my fish on the dry side too! I've found that if you completely submerge the fish in the oil inside of frying it one side at a time, it comes out crisper and dryer.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Please let me know what you think!

I'm really sorry, I hate comment moderation, but I've been getting annoying Japanese spam messages lately so...comment moderation has started.