Friday, January 8, 2010

U.S. Senate bean soup (p. 133) and Tuscan beans (p. 255)

First things first, if you read my posts in a blog reader, you probably never look at the sidebars on the actual blog. So you don't know that I have a Facebook fan page! Please join, when I write ten posts in a day and backdate them, I will let you know! Plus, it's terrific for my self-esteem to get new fans.

For my last days at mom's house, I decided to make some bean recipes. Josh doesn't like beans, and although I do like them, sometimes TJOC recipes make an enormous amount of food. U.S. Senate bean soup (p. 133) has looked tasty to me for quite some time.

I soaked some white beans overnight and then added them to a soup pot with a ham hock and water:



I simmered it for about an hour, shredded the meat off the ham hock (mom was absolutely shocked there was so much meat on the ham hock), and added diced celery, onion, potato, and garlic.



It was then cooked again and it became creamy!



I didn't even have to mash it to get it that creamy! I thought it was really good. That being said, it didn't seem like a soup at all. A stew, maybe, but not soup. The ham lent a nice saltiness to the whole thing and it was really flavorful. TJOC says that this recipe is actually served in the U.S. Senate! The recipe is online.

I like Tuscan beans (p. 255). And the recipe was amazingly easy. I combined the beans, some sage, garlic, and olive oil in a pot and covered it with water:



When the beans were tender, it was done!



A little salt and pepper and it was perfect. I drizzled some olive oil on the top and it was absolutely delicious. This would be a perfect side dish if you were inviting over vegans for dinner--easy and filling. I used more garlic, which I really recommend, otherwise it's a little bland. And make sure you thoroughly salt the beans!

The recipe for Tuscan beans is online. Let me know what you think if you make it!

Add to Technorati Favorites

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Please let me know what you think!

I'm really sorry, I hate comment moderation, but I've been getting annoying Japanese spam messages lately so...comment moderation has started.