Thursday, January 29, 2009

South Carolina skillet shrimp (p. 385) , Becker cocktail sauce (p. 568), and Grilled or broiled shrimp or scallops with chili paste (p. 387)

Mom and I stumbled on some shrimp on sale at the grocery store--and it needed to be used quickly. It seemed perfect because I hadn't made a single recipe out of the Shellfish chapter, which really needed to be rectified. I decided to make shrimp two ways (I've been watching WAY too much Top Chef. At least I'm not putting anything on spoons or in shot glasses....yet).

The first shrimp recipe I made was South Carolina skillet shrimp (p. 385). This has got to be one of the easiest recipes in the book.

Take shrimp and dump them in a skillet (no oil, butter, or anything else).





Cook them in their own juices for a few minutes. Stir and cook a bit more--and you are done!



Delicious and simple! It's got to be one of the simplest recipes in the book--one ingredient only.



And what is shrimp without cocktail sauce? I love condiments so it was a given that cocktail sauce was required. Becker cocktail sauce (p. 568) fit the bill. Like most sauces, it was simple. Catsup, chili sauce, horseradish, garlic, hot pepper sauce, lemon juice, and a little pepper and it was done. Josh bought a bottle of chili sauce on a whim but it's came in handy as a good condiment to keep on hand.




How was it? Tasty! Spicy. A perfect complement to the shrimp. I love shrimp cocktail so it was awesome. TJOC recommends dipping small sausages in the cocktail sauce--what kind of sausages? Little smokies? Hmmm...

If you are wondering why I would possibly tag a post about shrimp vegan and vegetarian, it's because of the cocktail sauce. I imagine just about anything could be dipped in it :)

I also made Grilled or broiled shrimp or scallops with chili paste (p. 387). It was another simple recipe. The chili paste is made first by mixing garlic, chili powder, red pepper, peanut oil, and salt and pepper in bowl. Spicy!




Then dip the shrimp in the paste to "coat well". I only had one pound of shrimp (probably less after peeled and deveined) and it seemed like barely enough paste to "coat well". The shrimp is cooked for a few minutes, turned, cooked for a few minutes more, and then done.




How was it? Spicy but really good! I think if you skewered them (maybe with something refreshing in the middle--pineapple, maybe?) they would be terrific at a party. They were also really easy.

Add to Technorati Favorites

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Please let me know what you think!

I'm really sorry, I hate comment moderation, but I've been getting annoying Japanese spam messages lately so...comment moderation has started.