Monday, January 19, 2009

Cheese quiche (p. 109) and Pat-in-the pan butter dough (p. 666)

Regular readers will remember that I decided to randomly generate a list of TJOC pages so that I could force myself to make recipes that I may be avoiding. I made the first dishes off of the list! I decided to start with a Cheese quiche (p. 109).

The recipe requires a half-recipe of Pat-in-the pan butter dough (p. 666), which was also on the randomly generated list. The first part of the recipe is to process flour and salt in the food processor, which I attempted. For some mysterious reason, the tiny food processor wouldn't work! I really hope it's not broken because I don't want to buy a new food processor at this point (I hope to get one for a wedding present). I poured the flour/salt back OUT of the food processor and into a bowl (what a pain, I hate making extra dishes).

Next step--mashing butter in with a fork until it resembles "course crumbs". What exactly is a "course crumb"?



A little (or quite a bit--this step took a lot more cream than the recipe called for) heavy cream is added and the dough is stirred until the crumbs look "damp". Nice and vague.



I patted the dough into the quiche pan and quickly ran into a problem.



See the problem?

There wasn't near enough dough. Rereading the recipe, I noticed that I was supposed to be making the crust in a 9-inch quiche, tart, or pie pan. My quiche pan? 11.5 inches. Uh oh...

So back to the drawing board. I decided just to make another half-recipe of the crust and see if that was enough.



Yep! Terrific. So the moral of the story--check the size of your pan before you start making a quiche.

The crust was then baked until "golden brown".



Unfortunately, although it was a beautiful color (the picture makes it look darker than it was), it started to tear apart. I figured it didn't really matter since it was going to be filled.

Egg yolk was smeared (yes, smeared) on the crust. It started cooking immediately after hitting the hot crust--it was actually a little gross.



The cheese was sprinkled on. I figured that making 1.5x the recipe would fix the problem of the pan being too large. It was a LOT of cheese.



The rest of the quiche was easy. I mixed heavy cream, eggs, a little grated onion (and grating onions is horrible, my eyes were streaming tears), nutmeg, and salt and pepper. That mixture is then poured over the cheese.



The finished product:



How was it? Tasty! The crust was the perfect thickness (and flaky), the quiche was flavorful and good both hot and cold. It heated up well. All that being said, I think it would have been helped by some meat, either ham or bacon. I don't think I would make this EXACT recipe again without doctoring it up a little. It was enough of a hit that Josh immediately packed some up for lunch.


Add to Technorati Favorites

2 comments:

  1. Hello Jessica, I really enjoy your posts, a really great read! You can add some slices of bacon here, that would really be great! I would like to invite you to Foodista.com - the cooking encyclopedia everyone can edit. We have lots of easy recipes you can try, so do check us out. Would also love a link to this post from our site.(This will direct Foodista readers to your blog)Here's how you can create inbound links from our site Check it out here. This is a great way for you to build blog traffic and connect with other food lovers! Also feel free to share your recipes and tips with us!Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lookd deLISH! i would probably add breakfast sausage & hot peppers.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Please let me know what you think!

I'm really sorry, I hate comment moderation, but I've been getting annoying Japanese spam messages lately so...comment moderation has started.