Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Croque monsieur (p. 181)

I needed something fast for dinner and Croque monsieur (p. 181) was one of the only things that I could find quickly and had all (four) of the ingredients on hand.

I buttered some white bread (TJOC specifies home style white, I used WonderBread, which I think is pretty homey but I don't think is probably what the cookbook meant) and added a thin slice of ham:



I then added the Gruyere cheese:



At this point I actually managed to read the recipe--the cheese doesn't go IN the sandwich but rather ON it, so I knocked it all off and stuck the sandwiches in the broiler for a couple minutes:



The cheese was added to the sandwich for the second time and into the broiler it went:



The sandwich was good and easy although a little boring. I like my cheese in the sandwich rather than on it, less messy that way. The ham was delicious though!

2 comments:

  1. I love this TJOC recipe. It's one of my favorites. Just wondering, which edition do you use. I have two, the first revision from the early nineties and a more recent revision. I have to say I like the older one best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,


    We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

    We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
    enjoy your recipes.

    Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
    and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

    To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

    Best regards,

    Vincent
    petitchef.com

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Please let me know what you think!

I'm really sorry, I hate comment moderation, but I've been getting annoying Japanese spam messages lately so...comment moderation has started.