Saturday, December 13, 2008

Fettuccine with Salmon and Asparagus (p. 327)

Josh made salmon so I figured the logical recipe to use the leftover in was Fettuccine with Salmon and Asparagus (p. 327). I'm still in the midst of testing to find out what is wrong with me and don't feel like making anything complex.

The recipe was fairly simple. Chop up the asparagus and boil them in some water/salt. I like asparagus, so I would rather just eat it than use in the pasta, but I soldiered through...





The asparagus is then lifted out of the pot with a sieve and a pound of spinach fettuccine is supposed to be added...




Uh oh....



I don't like fettuccine....



And I especially don't like spinach fettuccine (I think it tastes strangely bitter sometimes)...



And we certainly don't have any...


So spaghetti got thrown into the pot instead (and you will have to imagine that it's green)...






Obviously, some of the asparagus missed getting lifted out of the boiling water--and the water was a strange and rather distasteful color of green.

The asparagus was then sauteed in a little (or quite a bit) of butter....yum!...and a little lemon zest (I used dehydrated lemon zest from Penzeys).



At this point, heavy cream, chives, parsley, and a little salt and pepper were added to the asparagus.




I was getting concerned at this point. That looks like WAY too much cream--and there was nothing at all to thicken it, so it was just asparagus swimming in cream...weird and not very tasty.

I was hoping a miracle would happen when I added the pasta...



Nope. Still strangely milky.

How was it? Okay but weird. I think the flavors were tasty, especially in combination, but the sauce was WAY too thin. This recipe goes into the "won't be made again" category. This is another recipe that I would love to know if others had better luck when they made it.








Add to Technorati Favorites

2 comments:

  1. this is not a recipe. you kind of just cooked something and it seems alot like this http://www.thejoykitchen.com/recipe.lasso?recipe=1180 but you left out real instructions. thief

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obviously you don't understand the point of this blog. I'm cooking my way through THE JOY OF COOKING. That's why it's called THE JOY OF THE JOY OF COOKING. All recipes are in THE JOY OF COOKING. I re-read the recipe and can't figure out where you lost the concept but haters gotta hate, I suppose.

      Delete

I love comments! Please let me know what you think!

I'm really sorry, I hate comment moderation, but I've been getting annoying Japanese spam messages lately so...comment moderation has started.