Thursday, March 19, 2009

Salmon chowder (p. 143)

I needed to use the fish stock in the refrigerator before it turned. I have no idea how long fish stock is good for but I didn't want to find out the hard way (and I still have a ziploc full of stock in the freezer). I flipped through the fish section of Stocks and Soups and found the recipe that looked like it would be the cheapest (I live in land-locked Colorado--seafood is not cheap). Salmon chowder (p. 143) fit the bill, especially since I found a piece of salmon at the grocery sale on closeout.

The first step was to reduce a cup of heavy cream in a small saucepan until it's only 2/3 cup. Because it can't be allowed to boil, this takes forever.

At the same time, in the stock pot, I sauteed some leeks, vermouth, and garlic in butter. I adore leeks and garlic and vermouth always reminds me (fondly) of martinis so I knew this recipe was going to be a winner.



Eventually, fish stock, potatoes, and salt are mixed in and the soup was simmered until the potatoes are tender. Twelve ounces of salmon and a little black pepper were added and the soup was cooked for another ten minutes.



The soup was really good! TJOC states that fish soups don't reheat well so Josh and I made a concerted effort to eat the entire pot. That being said, it needs a LOT of salt. The half teaspoon that the recipe recommends isn't even close to the salt that the recipe requires. The salmon chowder was the first chowder I've ever made and it was easy.

I imagine that the stocks and soups section will be the first chapter of TJOC that I actually finish (an exciting prospect). I'm making terrific progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Please let me know what you think!

I'm really sorry, I hate comment moderation, but I've been getting annoying Japanese spam messages lately so...comment moderation has started.