Sunday, December 6, 2009

Baked sweet potatoes (p. 301) and Baked winter squash II (p. 308)

There are many foods in TJOC that I regularly make but never take a picture of so I can count them off the index. An example of this is Baked sweet potatoes (p. 301). My father gave me a big bag of sweet potatoes and winter squash. The recipe is almost ridiculously easy--poke a few holes in the sweet potato, put it on a potato lined with foil, and pop it in the oven for 45-60 minutes. Delicious and easy!




Another example is Baked winter squash II (p. 308). I love winter squash. Actually, I just love squash, all squash. Growing up in the land of the overproducing squash plants, I was inundated with it growing up, and it only made me love it more. The recipe is amazingly easy. Cut up a winter squash, remove the seeds and strings (I do this with a spoon), add some water, cover with foil, and cook.



Yum! Sweet and delicious. I tend to scoop it out, mash it down, and add butter.

Since this is a nice short post, I will shill a little for one of my favorite charities, Kiva.org


Kiva - loans that change lives


Kiva is a microlender. Essentially, you microfinance people in developing countries--the idea of teaching someone to fish, rather than giving them a fish. I find it extremely rewarding. I donate almost exclusively to agriculturalists (especially pig farmers) and I feel like I am making a (admittedly small) difference. I have donated many, many times and never had anyone default--Kiva's microlenders have something like less than a one percent default rate. Anyone else have any favorite charities this holiday season?

Add to <span class=Technorati Favorites">

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Please let me know what you think!

I'm really sorry, I hate comment moderation, but I've been getting annoying Japanese spam messages lately so...comment moderation has started.